HELLO SCOOTS! YES WE'VE GONE PURPLE FScootMaryland.com Meet. Share. Ride. ... a scooter blog

Thursday, October 23, 2008

My first cold weather ride

Well I did it this morning! I got up, I looked at the cold darkness, I went outside, and put the key in the scooter and let it warm up. No turning back now, it was time to leave.

I put on jeans, and a very heavy fleece pull over, and my UA gloves and took off. Within a mile of leaving the house the cold, 30 some degree/40mph wind had cut through everything I was wearing. Within just 5-10 minutes the uncomfortable cold feeling began to turn to pain. Any part of me that was catching the wind simply hurt especially my fingers. And of course this was the morning I was catching all green lights (usually a good thing) but now I was getting no breaks, no chances to stop and rub my hands together.

By the end of the ride I half expected to remove my gloves and find frostbite. I know this sounds a little extreme and I am a pretty tolerant person when it comes to pain, but even for me this hurt, and was no fun at all!

I guess this calls for (as my coworkers smugly kept telling me all morning) a trip to the bike shop this weekend from some more adequate cold weather gear. I am thinking some more serious winter leather gloves, a jacket, and maybe a full face. Oh well, its a small price to pay for being able to keep scooting. If theres an upside to suffering this morning it is that I get to enjoy a sunny 60 degree ride on the way home!

No comments: