HELLO SCOOTS! YES WE'VE GONE PURPLE FScootMaryland.com Meet. Share. Ride. ... a scooter blog

Friday, August 1, 2008

The Scooter Rider in me thinks, relax and enjoy the ride... the Truck Driver in me wants to run over The Scooter Driver...

Sorry for the long and odd title, but this idea has been kicking around in my head all week and I've been trying to decide how to approach it.

When I drive the scooter to work, there is one stretch of road that I am on for about half of my 25 minute commute. The entire length of it is residential and even includes some schools. The speed limit is 30mph, and 25mph during school hours.

Now I am no stickler for the speed limit, I regularly take this road at about 35-40mph, but what amazes me are the cars that are blowing by me while I'm doing 40! Every day on this stretch of road I am passed by cars easily going 10+ miles an hour faster than me. In fact the other day a white BMW passed me so fast I thought it was a cop! The most satisfying revenge for this sort of thing is when someone is really obnoxious about flying past you, only to catch them at the next red light. This week in fact I had a lady cut around me and fly off . . when I caught up to her at the next light, she was sporting a bumper sticker that said "I watch out for motorcycles"... I guess she doesn't include scooters in that courtesy?

So I started to think to myself... what are these people thinking?!? Is this road an anomoly? What is so important that you're doing 50mph and 60mph through a residential 30mph area? Did I just not notice this ridiculousness when I sat high above everyone else... or even worse was I one of these people??? I must say this new scooter view of the car driving set has me a little disturbed. Now I think we can all agree that speed is felt a lot more on a scooter than in a car and I can cut car drivers some slack on this. It is kinda easy to fly and not know it, especially if everyone around you does it too. But where is this excessive need to rush coming from? These people can't all be late for something, so that would lead me to believe this speeding is just because they feel they can. Now I don't want to come off like some sort of holier-than-thou preachy judging ex-aggressive driver talking down to these people, but maybe if they scooted for a day they might see how ridiculous their actions are?

No comments: