HELLO SCOOTS! YES WE'VE GONE PURPLE FScootMaryland.com Meet. Share. Ride. ... a scooter blog

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The colder mornings bring more accessories...

If you're like me and you ride to work in the morning, you may have noticed about a week or so ago those morning temps are slowly shifting from low 60's to high 50's. As someone who is allowed the luxury of wearing a t-shirt and shorts to work this slight change made all the difference in the world.

57 degress at 40 mph+ in shorts = CHILLY!

OK, no problem, wear heavier clothes, duh, simple... but what about my hands? The past few mornings when I get into the office there is a noteable malfunction of my fingers as I try to begin typing. I could pull out my fancy leather gloves from the back of the closet, but that just doesn't strike me right. So I go a Googling and come across a possible solution, Baltimore's own master of weather and sport specific clothing Under Armor.
Sure enough Under Armor makes an array of sports gloves, although none have the primary purpose of a riding glove, but I know their reputation, and the paragraph of description leads me to believe I may have found my fashionable answer. The ColdGear Men's Team Glove...

-Total protection on the sideline featuring Under Armour's signature ColdGear® technology.

-Pro grade insulated synthetic palm and grippy UA treatment deliver dexterity and extra grip for the coldest game days.

-
ColdGear® fabric with 4-way stretch keeps you warm without sacrificing mobility.

-
Bottom hook and loop closure system allows for easy adjustment and on/off capability.


Well this morning was truth time. Nice chilly morning, strap the gloves on and go for my 25 minute commute. Let me preface everything by saying these are nice and well made gloves, whether they work for me or not should not be a reflection on UA as I am not using them for what they are made for.

Everything starts out fine, the gloves are working! I feel the wind but my hands are staying warm. Gradually through the ride however I do feel the cold start on my finger tips, and by the time I get to work my hands are cold. Now not nearly as cold as the would be bare, but for cold wind on a scooter for an extended period of time these gloves are a no-go. For slightly chilly days or just general use I do like their feel, flexibility, style, and grip, so I think I'll be hanging on to them.

Come on Under Armor you've got a division for every sport know to man, where's the riders line?

Side complaint! The discrepency in the day's highs and lows are too great! Who is in charge of that? It's like do I want to dress for the afternoon and freeze in the morning, or dress for the morning and sweat in the afternoon. And yes of course I realize I could change clothes at work, add and remove as needed, but I bought a scooter to simplify my life, so can someone please get on this and fix these 20 degree temperature swings, or at least shift them to a 20 degree swing that is either cold and colder or warm and warmer.

No comments: