HELLO SCOOTS! YES WE'VE GONE PURPLE FScootMaryland.com Meet. Share. Ride. ... a scooter blog

Monday, February 16, 2009

Riding Dirty

As I was wondering through the web today I noticed there seems to be some question about whether scooters are legal at all in Baltimore City Proper. As someone who commutes his 125cc State Registered and Insured Scooter from his home in Baltimore County to his work in Baltimore City daily, I was a bit alarmed that perhaps I had been breaking the law twice a day most weekdays since last June. A quick google for Baltimore City Codes brought me to this pdf of legal-speak pertaining to the matter.

Baltimore City Code as it relates to two wheeled vehicles. Scroll down to Sub.40

If you ask me this law is made to give police the right to repossess dirt bikes from the reckless youth who zip through Baltimore City Neighborhoods, unconcerned for their and others safety... reckless, unregistered, and uninsured.

In fact in one of the first sections it says:
“Dirt bike” does not include: (i) a moped, as defined in State Transportation Article § 11-134.1; or (ii) a motor scooter, as defined in State Transportation Article § 11-134.4 {§ 11-134.5}.

So I'm pretty sure we're safe, this law was not meant to target those of us doing it right.

No comments: