HELLO SCOOTS! YES WE'VE GONE PURPLE FScootMaryland.com Meet. Share. Ride. ... a scooter blog

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Time to use my powers for good

This is my friend Mary-Beth, "MB" to her friends. She's been one of my closest friends for at least a good decade now, and we actually grew up just a few blocks from each other. 

It had come to my attention last weekend that she and husband Bryan were in the car market. New changes in their job locations has brought about the need for a second car. 

In discussing this over IM today I brought up the possibility of scooting since their jobs are now within no more than 20 minutes from their home. A suggestion that I thought would be laughed off, but to my surprise MB asked to compile a list of possible two-wheeled ride options for her, as even a brand new Vespa is much cheaper then a crappy used car and a whole lot more fun, not to mention the instant cool factor with coworkers haha.

Her stipulations are that it be a 50cc to avoid the tag/registration and insurance issues, also the thought of more power scares her, and that the scoot by pink. While I don't think I can help with the latter I have decided to be her scoot guide in this process that may add one more to the club. 

Here now as we start this process are Dave's top 5 picks in the 50cc class for 2009:

The Honda Metropolitan:
My Scoots little bro, The Yamaha Vino Classic:

The Genuine Buddy 50 (this pic has the pink but i do not believe that are still available:

 The Piaggion Fly 50:

and last and possibly least haha ... the definitely two toned PINK Kymco Sento 50:


All of these options present similar specs and prices, so as I told her it's all a style choice now.

In the next few weeks I imagine we'll take a trip to Motostrada in Cockeysville and Pete's Cycle in Parkville as between the two dealers all of those model will be represented. And of course we'll take care to document the process. If you have any suggestions or thoughts please feel free to let us hear them. Please note the Vespa LX50 was not considered as it retails for a whopping $3300 falling well outside the price range of MB and the five other models.


No comments: