HELLO SCOOTS! YES WE'VE GONE PURPLE FScootMaryland.com Meet. Share. Ride. ... a scooter blog

Friday, July 4, 2008

The First Gas Report

Since the original point of this scooting was to save gas, I have made it a point to keep my gas receipts. I take them to work and post them on my office wall in a nice neat row. Part of this is because I want to track my savings for the summer, and the other part is some of my SUV driving scooter critic coworkers are there and I like to make sure they see. haha! So at this time I have 4 receipts over my 3 weeks or so. Between work commuting and joy riding I have put well over 200 miles on The Vino.

So my gas driving history with the truck was about 1 fill up a week. And at this point I have had the Vino for exactly three weeks, so I think its fair to say I would have made three truck fill ups as of this weekend. And to be completely fair I calculate using the per gallon prices from the 3 receipts above how much my truck tank would have cost.

Oh and just a little side note here: There is no better feeling than pulling into a gas station, surrounded by SUV owners and watching the look of contempt wash over them as I put 3/4 of a gallon in my scooter and take off.

Speaking of the amount of gas I put in the scooter, you can see that I have never broken the gallon mark on my fill ups even though the specs say the tank is 1.2 gallons. So no one thinks I am cheating, I promise you I fill that little tank to the top TOP every single time. And just like the scooter never being bone dry, the truck is not usually either, so again in the interest of a fair comparison, I'll use 20 gallons as the trucks tank size as opposed to the official 24.

Week 1: 2 receipts

Week 1 Receipt 1 (lost): I must admit I did not save my first receipt but since I told so many people it's results I have it memorized to this day. It was for .76 gallons and cost me $3.02, so with some quick math that figures out to $3.97 a gallon. However since this falls in the same week, to be extra fair to the truck, we'll not count it.

Week 1 Receipt 2
20 gallons in the truck at $3.99 = $79.80
.818 gallons in the scooter at $3.99 = $3.27 + $3.02 from the lost receipt = $6.29
Savings = $73.51

Week 2:
20 gallons in the truck at $4.02 = $80.04
.916 gallons in the scooter at $4.02 = $3.69
Savings = $76.35

Week 3:
20 gallons in the truck at $3.99 = $79.80
.791 gallons in the scooter at $3.99 = $3.16
Savings = $76.64

So there it is... Gas report #1 has a total 3 week gas savings of ...... $226.50

No comments: