HELLO SCOOTS! YES WE'VE GONE PURPLE FScootMaryland.com Meet. Share. Ride. ... a scooter blog

Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Main Decision Maker

14 miles to the gallon and a 24 gallon tank VS. 96 miles to the gallon and a 1.2 gallon tank

No big surprise but my main reason for getting a scooter was the gas prices. My everyday vehicle is a 2005 V8 Nissan Titan 4x4 Truck. Now I've had my truck for 3 years this summer and I love it. It's a great truck and has been supremely useful over the years. The entire time I've owned it gas has always been at its higher levels. Even in 2005 gas was in the mid $2-$3 range, and it was just something I always just accepted as part of the luxury of driving a big truck. This year as gas has crept up to and over $4 a gallon my weekly fill ups were pushing into the $80+ dollar range. With no rhyme or reason to it, and no end in site, it was time to look at alternatives at least for the commute.

Now I could have easily taken a huge loss and traded in my beautiful truck for some tin can with four wheels. I could have even gone with something as cutesy as a smart car. And there was always the two wheel option. With no prior experience on a scooter or a motorcycle the fun of them did not even enter into the decision. I spent a week or two doing the occasional online research, and then decided to venture into a motorcycle store, to look at scooters (an intimidating venture in itself).

One day after work I decided today was the day and on my way home, I drove past the house and headed over to Pete's Cycle on Belair Rd. I walked in and made my way past the rows and rows of motorcycles to a small line of scooters in the back of the store. Over the next three hours I was schooled in the makes, models, specs, so on and so on. After a lot of pacing and muttering to myself my decision was made.

No comments: