HELLO SCOOTS! YES WE'VE GONE PURPLE FScootMaryland.com Meet. Share. Ride. ... a scooter blog

Friday, July 18, 2008

Scooter Riders take a step forward, Motorcycle Riders take a step back...

Invariably one of the most frequent questions scooter-curious people ask me is about the license and insurance for my scoot. OK in the eyes of Annapolis (our state gov't) the answer is any 49cc step-through two-wheeled vehicle is considered a moped. It requires no insurance, or tags, and does not have to adhere to any state vehicle regulations. Conversely any step-through two-wheeled vehicle larger than 50cc (as is my case) falls under the same regulation as a motorcycle. It requires that you carry at least minimal insurance, be registered with the state and tagged, and that the operator posses a Maryland Motorcycle License. And here's where I object...

I have a coworker, who has just, this year bought his first motorcycle. He has followed the letter of the law and gotten his motorcycle license. If you are a larger scooter owner and have looked into these classes you know that they are backed up for weeks if not months, they are multiple days, and aren't exactly cheap. The classes are oriented for the learning of two-wheeled safety, riding techniques, and how to operate a motorcycle. Well, as my observant motorcycle-riding-co-worker has told me in our many conversations out in the parking lot, my Vino is VASTLY more simple to operate than his bike. He could jump on the Vino and go, whereas I would be absolutely lost not only trying to start his bike, but then getting it to go anywhere.

So perhaps we larger scoots who find ourselves lumped into The Maryland Motorcycle Law Gray Area need to stand up and help our elected leaders redefine the law to better serve it's scooting citizens?

Now I don't want to come off unrealistic or unsafe... I strongly believe in the importance of insurance, safety gear, and safe riding instruction. But I do also strongly feel that the motorcycle courses mandated by the State are overkill for the Scooter Riders in information, time, and expense. It seems there could be a course more tailored to the scooter rider. Something to include all the safety aspects of riding a two wheeled vehicle without all the specific in depth motorcycle training, time, and cost.

Therefore I challenge our law makers in Annapolis to give us non-motorcycle two wheelers a new program. My suggestion would be a one day course divided into class room and practical instruction on rider safety... oh and at a lower fee of course!

I have of course found my state elected offcials, and plan to let them know my thoughts on the matter... would you do the same? http://mdelect.net/electedofficials/

No comments: